The Head of Mission is Ambassador Stefano Sannino, who on 7 April 2016 presented credentials to King Felipe VI.
According to the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations of 18 April 1961, the functions of the Embassy are, among others, of:
– representing Italy in Spain;
– protect the interests of Italy and its citizens, within the limits allowed by international law;
– negotiate with the Government of Spain;
– find out about the conditions and developments of events in Spain and report to the Italian State;
– promote friendly relations and develop economic, cultural and scientific relations between Italy and Spain.
The Embassy coordinates a network composed of the Consulate General of Barcelona and the network of Honorary Consuls , the Cultural Institutes of Madrid and Barcelona , the Italian Schools of Madrid and Barcelona , the ICE and ENIT Offices , the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Spain and the Chamber of Commerce of Barcelona .
Through its Consular Chancellery, the Italian Embassy in Madrid provides assistance and consular services to Italian and foreign citizens residing in the territory of its constituency, which includes all of Spain except the Autonomous Communities of Aragon, Catalonia, Valencia, Murcia and Balearics and the principality of Andorra, which are under the jurisdiction of the General Consulate of Barcelona.